Vu’s Phone Rig diffuses two LED panels to your smartphone to create powerful yet soft lighting for your dental photography. Designed by Dr. Vu Le and 3d printed in his garage workshop, it’s the only patented product on the market that uses a magnetic quick release–no more clamps or screws. VPR has the highest light output of any dental product on the market…it’s bright enough to act as a fill light across a room. The VPR is protected under under U.S. Pat. No. 10,667,696 B1
Update 5/15/2022: The LED panels used to make the VPR 400 have ended production permanently. We regrettfully received no notice from our vendors of this change. We are actively searching for a substitute component to continue this product line. We will maintain our remaining parts to serve our existing customers through the warranty period. Thank you for supporting our breakout product through its 4 year run!
Update 5:16/2022 We are having a clearance sale on the remaining VPR 400 units. You will receive full warranty support for 1 year, and an upgrade discount to current products if replacement parts are depleted.
Update 5/19/2022 One last production run of the LED panels was secured. Limited quanities will be available for now. New stock expected July-August 2022.
All VPR units have these awesome features:
- Compatibility with all major smartphones: iPhone 13 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S2x Ultra Plus, Note 20 series. Anything under 80mm wide for VPR 400, anything under 100mm wide for VPR 500
- Magnet quick mount – attach the included steel stickers to your phone case, and two huge embedded magnets secure your phone to the VPR. No clamps, sprints, or adjustment wheels are required.
- Diffused dual lighting – Offset diffuser panels are securely mounted to the frame create soft yet defined lighting. The diffusers also reduce eye strain for your patients (shaded eye goggles are still recommended for them).
- In body charging – LED panels can be charged without removing them from the frame using standard micro USB cables (included) and any USB charger (not included).
- Hot swap capability – you can purchase spare LED panels for hot swapping during long shoots.
- Designed and made by a dentist, for dentists and their team members.
- Same day support – we personally answer emails, phones and texts.
- 1 year warranty – we will replace defective parts with free shipping within the USA (international customers may incur additional shipping charges)
- 30 day return policy – return the product with no questions asked
Reasons to consider the VPR 400:
- Lower price
- With good technique, light quality still looks basically identical for intraoral shots
- Physical switches are easier to find and faster to turn on and off
- If you prefer analog dimmer wheels to push buttons
- The overall size is smaller and lighter
- Still works with iPhone Pro Max and Samsung Ultra Plus sized phones. Any phone less than 80mm wide will fit.
Advatanges of newer VPR 500 over the older VPR 400:
- Larger light source = softer light at equal distances
- 2.8x more light at maximum power compared to VPR 400
- (1.5 stops of EV measured at 150 and 300mm from subject)
- 50 percent more battery capacity (3000 mAh vs 2000 mAh per LED panel)
- OLED digital display – you know exactly how much light every time
- higher maximum power – useful at longer distances
- bi-color LED’s – warm or cool the color temp of your light. Warm light to blend with your room light for testimonials, blue light to make your work pop. We are the ONLY dental photography solution with variable color temperature.
- larger camera opening which allows use of camera without zooming (though at least 3x zooming is still recommended for intraoral shots)
- Wider “sweet” spot – all shots look good, but there is a wider “sweet spot” of distances where it looks the best. So it’s more forgiving of shooting too far away.
- Future proof – No phone has broken the 80mm width limit of the human thumb. But VPR 500 could accomodate a thoeretical 100mm wide phone.
- Parts availability – the VPR 500 is built on a newer LED panel from a larger company, so it’s more likely (though not guaranteed) to be available for replacement parts longer
Standard dual grips extend down from the sides of the rig. If you have a Samsung phone, we highly recommend using the voice triggering option in the settings–this allows the camera to capture by saying”smile” or “cheese”. Because you have both hands holding the rig, it is the most stable choice for shooting video. They include two removable feet, which allow the rig to stand upright on a counter. They are “pidgeon toed” in the photograph because that configuration avoids digging into the palms during shooting. Do not stand the rig in a location where it can be knocked over. The rig is self standing but may tipped by an errant arm or hip. (update 4/1/2022: the standard dual grips are discontinued in order to streamline our production lines. The dual grip bluetooth is recommended for those who want dual handles)
Bluetooth dual grips add a bluetooth trigger to reduce touching the screen. Some find the tactile trigger button is more satisfying as well. The disposable coin battery (CR2032) may need to be changed every few months. Bluetooth triggers may disable your onscreen keyboard until the remote is shut off. There are unconfirmed reports of bluetooth incompatibility with the Invisalign app. If you come across an incompatible camera app, shut the bluetooth trigger off. The VPR was designed to work with or without bluetooth, so your thumb should be able to reach the screen regardless. Like the standard dual grips, the bluetooth option will be more stable for both stills and video compared to the uni-grip.
Uni-Grip A single adjustable grip on the right side of the rig wedges your fingers against the led panels. This rig is designed to be operated with one hand. This smaller, more agile option is the best option for step by step documentation of a procedure. The side grip will be an easy transition for those accustomed to using an SLR or mirrorless camera one handed. The dual grip models are more stable for video, but you can get some of that back by using your left hand to brace the other side of the rig. If you have a Samsung phone, we highly recommend using the voice triggering option in the settings–this allows the camera to capture by saying”smile” or “cheese”.
- Black is probably the best for most users because it is always in stock and will have the best print quality. Pease allow an additional week for printing time if other colors are ordered. We will photograph a swatch here as time permits. The teal resembles Tiffany Blue. Sky blue is similar to what the Los Angeles Chargers use. Because every VPR is 3d printed, small blemishes are to be expected, and may show more in lighter colors.
What won’t work? The phone (preferably in a smooth TPU case) should have a flat surface to stick the metal plate for magnetic retention. Pop up discs, kickstands, or handles may prevent the smartphone from mounting securely to the VPR.
Compatible tablets: is it compatible with the ipad?
Tablets are not recommended or supported because the overall size and weight would be very large, awkward and heavy. We cannot guarantee adequate retention or patient safety.
Magnetic quick release requires a metal sticker (included with purchase) adhered to your phone case. We recommend simple, flat, TPU cases. Shop for TPU phone cases on Amazon. Affiliate link: we will earn a small referral commission at no additional cost to you.
Why is it 3d printed?
Our products are made using fdm (fused deposition modeling) printing. This allowed us to launch the product with very little startup cost. Continuing to 3d print them allows for minimal inventory costs, rapid prototyping, continuous improvements, and customer requested customizations such as logos. We listen to customer feedback and that’s why everyone loves this product.
Want A Closer Look?
Here’s the setup video for the VPR 400 series, including the dual grip, bluetooth, and uni-grip body styles.